Rooftop Greenhouses & Urban Greenhouses
The future of farming will see an increase in Controlled Environment Agriculture, utilizing open urban spaces and even rooftops. As technological innovation in agriculture evolves, farming will continue to move closer to population centers.
Urban farming can increase economic opportunity for both communities and individual businesses, as well as help build stronger social networks, and provide economic and health-related growth.
We can customize our greenhouse solutions for your rooftops, empty lots, or any urban space.
Advantages of a Rooftop Greenhouse
- Increased access and availability of fresh produce
- Energy savings- heat from the greenhouse can be used to heat the building
- Water savings- reduces stormwater runoff by capturing and using rainwater for irrigation
- Improved air quality- more moisture and oxygen that can be filtered back into the building
- Reduction in “urban heat island effect”
- Increased property value- urban greenhouses are attractive structures that bring value to the community
- Land savings- in some situations space is limited, and in others land is unaffordable for many
- Transportation cost savings- farm to table travel distance is greatly reduced, as well as supply chain challenges that arise from a long distance food economy
- Community asset- rooftop greenhouses can increase community engagement in local agriculture, provide an educational opportunity in understanding food systems, and can support existing initiatives to aid underserved communities
We work with Rabensteiner to customize a solution for your rooftop grow
Applications for Rooftop Greenhouses
Rooftop greenhouses are the logical growing option where space is a limiting factor; and they are ideal for producing food or providing gardening options to those who might not otherwise have an opportunity to grow.
Rooftop greenhouses may also serve the following applications:
- Communal sunroom- warm living harbor in a cold climate
- Grocery store produce supply- combining growing & shopping
- Restaurant adjunct- a beautiful space to sit and be served above a restaurant, coffee shop, or hotel
- Restaurant production space- food is grown above a restaurant in order to preserve freshness, reduce travel expenses, etc.
- Community room, hotel atrium, event center, etc.- there are limitless opportunities and applications for using a “green house” space
Ceres Rooftop Greenhouse Projects
We offer the following Ceres greenhouse designs for new rooftop greenhouse builds:
Incorporating a rooftop greenhouse is most easily achieved when the structure is integrated into a new build design.
Adding a rooftop to an existing structure is a more complex undertaking and we’re happy to provide more information on this as well.
Urban Agriculture Greenhouses
Farming in an urban setting requires careful consideration of a host of new factors. Presently, there are great resources for prospective urban farmers wishing to embark on a new kind of agricultural journey.
Our Financing Resources provides a broad level overview of greenhouse funding, grants, and financing resources available.
Access Greenhouses Related Brochures
Calculate Your Energy Savings
Find out how much you can save with Ceres Greenhouses compared to standard greenhouses.
One centralized system for controlling the whole environment. Monitor temperature, relative humidity, and CO2, leaf/ canopy temp, PAR, lighting zones, and outdoor weather.
We offer Ceres designed EcoLoop™ or EcoPack™ HVAC options depending on growing goals, budget, site constraints, and greenhouse type.All Ceres environmental controls are custom integrated to suit your needs.
The GAHT® system is a ground to air heat exchanger, a system often referred to as a ‘Climate Battery’. Ceres leads the industry in climate battery technology, having designed and installed more systems in greenhouses than any other company in the world.
Different crops may demand specific lighting requirements. We offer a variety of lighting solutions designed to suit the needs of each individual operation.
A NetZero greenhouse will have zero net emissions. This goal is achieved through capturing and storing energy. This can be done using a various system options.
Ethylene tetrafluoroethylene is a durable, high light transmissive glazing option. It offers more than 95% light transmission, including the UV spectrum. More than other greenhouse companies, Ceres is implementing full spectrum glazings for maximum crop growth.
Related Webinars, Videos and Content
Rooftop Greenhouses & Urban Greenhouses FAQs
Yes. As long as the underlying structure is built with enough strength to support the rooftop greenhouse installing a greenhouse on an existing building is possible.